Only Suresh got 10/10
1. Who is the “world’s most desperate venture capitalist”?
Vijay (Apparently a new character in Dilbert, or maybe I have been out of touch with the comic strip)
2. Written and composed by a relatively unknown Claude de Lisle and called “The Marching song of the Rhine Army”, it makes a famous scene at Rick’s Cafe Americaine in the film Casablanca. Name the song whose intro piece is used in the Beatles sing “All you need is love”?
La Marseillas (French National Anthem) – Banned by both Napoleon and the Nazis (in occupied France)
3. Named after the Greek for “power motion”, name the sports and training society formed in the Soviet Union by the State Political Directorate and administered by various arms of the NKVD and later the MVD (members of this society were given police officer ranks)?
Dinamo (now Dynamo in most non-Russian states) – The greatest of all teams was the Dynomo Kyiev team whose exploits during the WW2 inspired the movie “Escape to Victory”
4. What did Hans Fritzsche, Franz von Papen and Hjalmar Stachan get that 21 others along with them did not get?
Acquitted of war crimes during the Nurember Trials
5. Nine days after the premier of Sympnoy No. 6 in B Minor, the composer died. The cause of death is still debated. Because of this, this symphony is also called “_______”s Suicide Note”
Pyotr Tchaikovskiy, the symphony is popularly called Pathetique Symphony because of its mournful touch
6. Which term coined by Desmond Tutu was first officially used by Nelson Mandela in his first month of office as president of South Africa… “Each of us is as intimately attached to the soil of this beautiful country as are the famous jacaranda trees of Pretoria and the mimosa trees of the bushveld – a _____ ______ at peace with itself and
7. When his obituary erroneously appeared in a magazine, this India born Nobel laureate wrote back saying “”I’ve just read that I am dead. Don’t forget to delete me from your list of subscribers.” Who?
8. _______ Kindred _________ (Dec 16 1928 – Mar 12 1982) – At least seven of his works have been made into notable movies. His surname gives the term for the atmosphere of paranoia where a person wakes up to realise that his sense of reality has changed suddenly. Who?
Philip K Dick (“Dickian” or “Phildickian” is used to describe the sense of paranoia that a person feels – Arnie in Total Recall for example)
9. America first saw him in Oscar-winning movies (foreign language) from his home country, Sweden. He was the first choice to play Dr No in Dr. No. But his first Hollywood role was as Jesus. He has played other notable roles including Ming the Merciless (Flash Gordon). Who?
Max Von Sydow (played Lamar Burgess in Minority Report)
10. I am going to close with one of my favourite rock songs:
“To find the queen without a king
They say she plays guitar
and cries and sings”
Who is the queen?
The song is “Going to California” from Led Zep Vol 4 and is a tribute to Joni Mitchell